The Company’s Garden has numerous important landmarks, including the lodge house for the slaves who built a large part of our historic city.
In 1652, a refreshment station was established at the Cape of Good Hope by the Dutch East India Company, now named Queen Victoria Street which is situated at the top of Adderley Street, and is adjacent to the South African Parliament.
The gardens can be roamed freely by the public who appreciates its sheer beauty of flora and historic allure.
Important features about these 8 hectares of historic beauty:
- The oldest cultivated pear tree in South Africa, estimated to have been planted in 1652
- Historic statues and a sundial dated 1781 in the centre of the garden
- A well dating from 1842 with a hand-pump embedded in an oak tree next to it, which is still connected to the well by an underground pipe. It is a symbol of the significance of water from Table Mountain and the origin of the garden
- A memorial slave-bell which is actually the old fire-alarm bell from the original town hall in Greenmarket Square. The bell itself dates back to 1855
- A rose garden designed and built in 1929
- A vegetable garden designed and built in 2014
- Delville Wood Memorial Garden, designed in 1929 by Sir Herbert Baker, commemorates the World War 1 battle at Delville Wood in France, in which a predominantly South African force of more than 3 000 soldiers was reduced to 755 survivors by German forces
- A Japanese theme garden with a stone Japanese lantern donated by the Japanese Ambassador in 1932
- Colourful bedding displays
- Water features
- A koi fishpond
- An aviary with a variety of birds
- Botanically and historically valuable trees
- A herb garden
- A rockery garden
- A Visitors’ Centre and Information Office which houses a pictorial history of the Company’s Garden
- Grassed area
- Public toilets
- Fenced off/enclosed area
Some information retrieved from the City of Cape Town website